Civil Engineering Technology
M State's Civil Engineering Technology prepares you for employment opportunities as a civil engineering technician in an array of public works departments, state agencies and private industries.
As a student in the Civil Engineering Technology program, you'll learn a range of skills related to engineering technologies, graphic communication skills and advanced surveying techniques. Our graduates are hired by local public works departments, state agencies such as the Minnesota Department of Transportation, construction companies, geotechnical firms and consulting engineering companies. Program internships frequently lead to employment opportunities.
This 60-credit AAS degree program is offered on our Detroit Lakes campus. An advisory board comprised of local and regional industry members reviews our curriculum, ensuring that students learn the skills needed by employers.
M State also offers a 30-credit in Survey Technician certificate that provides students with a basic study of civil engineering surveying.
Here is what you'll learn
- Prepare civil construction drawings utilizing computer-aided design (CAD) software
- Produce construction, legal and topographic surveys
- Calculate material quantities and final cost estimates
- Prepare material testing reports on soils and concrete
- Demonstrate design criteria for road design
- Utilize hydrology design skills
- Work as an effective member of a professional team on projects including highways, bridges, airports, water treatment and distribution systems, and wastewater collection systems
Our students' stories
"The Civil Engineering Technology program at M State provided me many diverse career opportunities. It allowed me to explore various career path options, and it didn't limit me to one direction in the industry. The material I learned in the program greatly enhanced my skills and abilities, which enabled me to start my career with a well-rounded position with MnDOT."
Minnesota Department of Transportation
"My education experience in Civil Engineering Technology at M State was very rewarding, and it provided me with a wealth of knowledge to further my career. The two-year program fit well within my family and work life, and it gave me the tools I needed to fulfill my career path."
Ulteig Engineers, Inc.