International students

International student admissions

Welcome international students! Thank you for your interest in Minnesota State Community and Technical College. We are excited to help you navigate the admissions process. If you have questions, please contact our Enrollment Team

For M State admission purposes, an international student is defined as someone who is not a U.S. citizen or immigrant and is seeking admission to the college. Permanent residents, refugees and political asylees must complete only the general admissions process, not the international student admissions process.

International student admissions process

New Student (applicant who currently resides outside the U.S.) 

  1. Complete the online application
  2. Complete all items outlined within the International Student Requirements Packet and submit all supporting documentation 

Transfer Student (applicants with a valid F-1 visa transferring from a United States school) 

  1. Complete the online application
  2. Complete all items outlined within the International Student Requirements Packet and submit all supporting documentation 
  3. Complete the Transfer Form 

I-20 forms authorizing admittance into the United States for educational purposes will be issued when all admission requirements have been met. Qualified international students must apply and submit all required documents by the deadline to be considered for acceptance to M State. For a detailed admission requirements checklist please view the International Student Requirements Packet below.

Admissions deadlines: (All documents needed for acceptance must be received by M State prior to the deadlines listed below)

  • December 1 to start spring semester 
  • August 1 to start fall semester 

International students will not be admitted to summer semester. 

Tax information for international students

Are international students required to file with the IRS?

All non-immigrant international students who were in the United States during a calendar year (any time between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31) are required to file tax documents with the federal Internal Revenue Service (IRS) by April 15 of the following year. (For example, students in the country for all or a portion of 2022 must file taxes in 2023.) You must file a tax report whether or not you worked in the United States, earned income in the United States, or received a scholarship.

Where can I get tax assistance?

If you have general questions about filing taxes, contact the Designated School Official (DSO) on your campus. We cannot provide tax or legal advice, however, so you may need to seek professional help from a tax preparer for assistance with specific tax issues or questions. You may find answers to some of your questions on the IRS website.

What forms will I need to complete as an international student?

If you were in the United States for even a day during the calendar year but earned NO income, you need to complete Form 8843 and mail it to the IRS (the address is listed below) on or before April 15.

Form 8843 and Form 8843 instructions

If you were in the United States during the prior year and earned ANY income, you must complete Forms 8843 and 1040NR EZ and mail both forms together to the IRS.

Form 1040NR EZ and Form 1040NR EZ instructions

If this is your sixth year in the United States and you have lived in the United States for five consecutive years without a break, you are considered a U.S. Nonresident (also known as resident alien) for tax purposes only and can complete the standard federal and state tax forms.

Where do I send my tax forms?

Remember to make copies of your tax documents before you mail them to:

Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service
Austin, TX 73301-0215

Will I need to file Minnesota tax forms?

Information and instructions for filing nonresident Minnesota state tax forms are available on the Minnesota State Tax Information website.

For general questions, contact our enrollment team by phone/text at 877.450.3322 or email at