Office of Equity and Inclusion
Celebrate at our Native graduation ceremony
Native and Indigenous students at Fargo Moorhead colleges will join together for a Native Graduation Celebration set for 1-3 p.m. Saturday, April 10.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions and safety concerns, the celebration takes the place of the annual Woodlands and High Plains Powwow for students from M State, North Dakota State University, Wahpeton College of Science, Minnesota State University Moorhead and Concordia College.
Graduating students who identify as Native or Indigenous and who registered to attend will receive a formal invitation to the celebration.
Join us for a Community Conversation!
M State's office of Equity and Inclusion welcomes social worker and community member Alexa Dixson-Griggs for its April Community Conversation, set for noon to 2 p.m. Thursday, March 18.
Dixson-Griggs will be joined by M State Associate Director of Equity and Inclusion Madison Jansky in a conversation about her experiences growing up and how being Black has shaped events in her life. For more information and a chance to read Alexa's speaker bio, visit us on facebook @MStateOEI or on Instagram @mstate_oei.
Hear what students have to say
On Nov. 9, M State was among the sponsors of a virtual panel discussion, “Why Native Representation Matters in Educational Settings.” Click here to listen to the student portion of the event. Other sponsors included NDSU, MSUM, Minnesota Indian Education, North Dakota Indian Education and Native Roots Radio.
Diversity at M State
The Office of Equity and Inclusion coordinates programs and assists with conversations on equity and cultural understanding among M State community members. We empower students, faculty, staff and administrators to explore a deeper understanding of and respect for diversity in its many forms. That extends to everyone regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, gender, age, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, physical ability and national or regional origin.
M State is a participant in Equity by Design, a collaborative effort and commitment to advancing greater equity in the academic success of Minnesota State students. Equity by Design reflects our commitment to advancing equity, diversity and inclusion.
Meet our staff
Associate Director of Equity & Inclusion
Madison Jansky’s core values are rooted in social justice, acceptance and inclusion. Before joining M State, she worked at several non-profits and governmental agencies, primarily with at-risk youth and young adults.
An intersectional feminist and member of the LGBTQ+ community, she earned her bachelor’s degree in social work at Minnesota State University Moorhead and holds licensure in North Dakota.
How can we help you?
- We assist in cultivating campus understanding of diversity and inclusion.
- We collaborate with students, faculty, staff and administrators to develop programs that educate and foster an inclusive and welcoming environment across our campuses.
Keep connected with us!
Ways to learn about diversity
- Be open about differences - Share how your background has influenced you and encourage others to do the same
- Ask questions - Ask respectfully if you have a question.
- Encourage questions - Be open to questions about the things that make you different, and ask questions in return.
- Develop friendships - Sharing experiences and asking questions is a great way to develop new friendships.
- See the individual - Understand that each person is an individual and cannot be expected to speak for his or her culture. Do not assume everyone within a culture shares the same beliefs and experiences.
Diversity in the M State community
See how M State has promoted and encourages diversity on its four campuses.