Veterans Services

Welcome, veterans

Our goal in M State Veterans Services is to make sure our service members, veterans, spouses and other family members have the information they need to make informed decisions concerning their federal military and veteran educational benefits.

Veteran Benefits Sign Up Form

M State fully complies with the 2012 Executive Order - Establishing Principles of Excellence for Educational Institutions Serving Service Members, Veterans, Spouses and Other Family Members.

Veterans who are considering higher education can check out From Military to College: A Checklist for Veterans, which is provided by the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs.

M State complies with Minnesota Statute 197.775 which exceeds all criteria of Title 38 United States Code Section 3679(e).

Contact information for veterans

Higher education regional coordinators

The higher education regional coordinators provide service members and or/family member information directly related to military education benefits. Click here to see a map of all Minnesota higher education regional coordinators.

The regional coordinator serving M State is Aaron Johnson. He can be reached at 218.329.6040. Please call for campus availability. His office locations are:

  • Fergus Falls: Room L139
  • Moorhead: Room C123
  • Detroit Lakes: Room A106
  • Wadena: Room M26H

Veterans can meet with a campus or program advisor for academic questions, but they are encouraged to meet with a regional coordinator regarding benefits.

County veterans service officers (CVSO)

  • Collaborate with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs and veterans service organizations in securing veterans benefits.
  • Disseminate information on veterans benefits.
  • Assist in applying for state and federal benefits.
  • Facilitate the referral process to appropriate outside agencies.
  • Help obtain needed military records.

If you are a service member or family of a service member, your CVSO can assist with understanding military benefits. To locate your CVSO, visit the Minnesota Association of County Veterans Services Officers website and click on your county in the directory.

Financial aid for veterans

All service members and their families are encouraged to complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Student Aid) in addition to completing the necessary paperwork for military education benefits.

There are numerous education benefits provided through federal and state veteran education programs. It is recommended that you contact your local Regional Coordinator (listed above under Contact Information for Veterans) regarding personal benefits, even if you think you do not qualify.

Click here to view an interactive benefits flow chart provided by, a higher education veterans program.

Higher Education Veterans Program GI Bill ® Comparison Chart

Military Tuition Assistance Refund Policy

Minnesota GI Bill

The Minnesota GI Bill program provides assistance to eligible Minnesota veterans; currently serving military, National Guard and Reserve members who served after September 11, 2001; and eligible spouses and children. The program provides a maximum benefit of $10,000 up to age 62. Eligible participants can use the benefit in higher education, on-the-job training/apprenticeships or licensing and certification.

This program is different than the Federal GI Bill (Montgomery, Post 9-11, Veterans Education Assistance Program, Dependents Education Assistance Program or Vocational Rehabilitation). If you have questions, contact Aaron Johnson at or visit for more information, including the application process.

Transfer credits

The Veterans Education Transfer System (VETS) is designed to assist current and past service members in determining how their military training may earn them credit at a Minnesota State institution. Click here to review the credit evaluation your assigned MOS/AASC occupation has been assigned. Please note that if there is no evaluation for your occupation, you will have the option to request an evaluation.

All service members and veterans can request their military training records in the form of a transcript to be evaluated at the college level. Veterans of the Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corp and Navy should contact the Joint Services Transcript. Air Force veterans need to make transcript requests to the Community College of the Air Force.

Links for veterans

For more information, check out these websites:

What guides our work:

In our work with veterans, M State:

  • Provides veterans information on educational benefits that may be available.
  • Informs eligible students of available federal financial aid before arranging for private and/or alternative aid.
  • Does not employ fraudulent and unduly aggressive recruiting techniques.
  • Obtains the Higher Learning Commission's approval for new course or program offerings before enrolling students.
  • Allows service members and reservists to be readmitted to a program if interrupted by service requirements and accommodates short absences due to service obligations as long as the student is in good academic standing prior to the suspension of studies.
  • Agrees to an institutional refund policy aligned with the refund of unearned student aid as required under section 484B of the HEA of 1965.
  • Provides educational plans that detail how to complete degree requirements within the expected timeline of completion.
  • Designates a point of contact for academic and financial aid advising (including access to disability counseling) to assist with degree completion and job searches.