Military-to-M State Checklist

Military-to-M State checklist

Follow our step-by-step checklist to get started at M State.

Representation of a college student in the military

Expand all

Apply for admission

There is no application fee - apply now!

Submit official transcripts

Contact any other college or university you've attended to request that official transcripts be sent to M State. The M State Records Office will retrieve transcripts from other Minnesota state institutions on your behalf. 

Do you have potential exam credit from AP scores, International Baccalaureate, CLEP, or DSST? Request those transcripts as well. 

Mail transcripts to:
M State Processing Center
1414 College Way
Fergus Falls, MN 56537 

Visit Transferring to M State for details. 


Apply for VA education benefits

Whether you are new to VA education benefits or have used them at another college or university, apply for veterans' education benefits at M State now so you're ready by the start of the semester.

Apply for financial aid

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). 

Applying for financial aid is recommended for all students, even when VA benefits or other military funding may be covering your expenses. Learn more about M State’s financial aid process at Paying for College.  

Consider other funding sources

Benefits? Yes. Financial aid? Yes. More money for college? Definitely! Visit Understanding Financial Aid to learn more.

After you're admitted to M State

Once admitted to M State, you’ll be directed to: