At M State, the Accuplacer placement test is required for degree-seeking students to assess their skill levels in reading, writing and math. Students and their advisors use the test results to select or recommend appropriate courses and help assure your success at M State. To help you save time and money, we strongly suggest you prepare prior to taking any placement test.
Who needs to take the Accuplacer?
If you are a new applicant to M State, you must complete the Accuplacer unless you meet one of the exemptions listed below. For your testing needs, please refer to the placement testing postcard that was sent with your M State acceptance letter.
You are exempt from all assessment requirements if you:
- Have a bachelor's degree or higher, or
- Have completed the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum
You are exempt from the math assessment requirement if you:
- Have math transfer credits that satisfy the Minnesota State Goal Area 4: Mathematical/Logical Reasoning requirement, or
- Have an ACT math score of 22 or higher within the past five years
- Have an SAT math score of 530 or higher within the past five years
- Have an MCA math score of 1158 or higher within the past five years
- Have an SAT math score of 520-529 (within the past five years), ACT math score of 20-21 (within the past five years) or NG Accuplacer Advanced Algebra and Functions score of 236-249 (within the past two years) and you have graduated from high school within the past ten years and have a cumulative high school GPA of 2.7 or higher.*
You are exempt from the reading/writing assessment requirement if you:
- Have reading/writing transfer credits that satisfy the Minnesota State Goal Area 1 Communications requirement, or
- Have an ACT reading score of 21 or higher or English score of 18 or higher within the past five years
- Have an SAT reading score of 480 or higher or a writing score of 480 or higher within the past five years
- Have an SAT reading score of 400-479, an SAT English score of 440-479, an ACT reading score of 19-20, an ACT English score of 16-17, or a NG Accuplacer Reading score of 236-249 within the past five years and you have graduated from high school within the past ten years and have a cumulative high school GPA of 2.5 or higher.*
Note: M State can not use MCA scores for writing placements.
Preparing for Accuplacer
The free Accuplacer study app gives you access to Accuplacer practice materials anytime, anywhere. Choose Next-Generation Practice Tests when prompted. The app includes sample questions and explanations for both correct and incorrect answers. Explore practice questions and get feedback on the skills you need to focus on the most. Jump-start your college journey - start preparing for the Accuplacer today!
The College Board website offers the following test resources to help students prepare for the Accuplacer:
- Reading: https://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/sites/default/files/next-generation-sample-questions-reading.pdf
- Mathematics (Arithmetic): https://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/sites/default/files/next-generation-sample-questions-arithmetic.pdf
- Advanced Algebra and Functions: https://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/sites/default/files/next-generation-sample-questions-advanced-alegbra-and-functions.pdf
Another test preparation resource you may find useful:
- Union Test Prep: https://uniontestprep.com/accuplacer-test
Things to know
- A photo ID is required - you cannot test without one
- Tests are not timed
- Testing takes approximately two hours
- Personal calculators cannot be used, but Accuplacer provides the option of a digital calculator for questions that require their us
- Testing sites provide scratch paper and pens/pencils
- Cell phones must be turned off and stored in a backpack, purse, jacket, etc.
- Children are not allowed in the testing room and may not be left unattended on campus or outside the testing site
- Score results are available immediately after testing is complete
Students who may need accommodations for placement tests because of a disability should contact the Accessibility Resources staff at the campus where they wish to test by calling or texting 877.450.3322 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students who want to take the Accuplacer a second time should talk to a counselor or academic advisor before signing up to retest. There is no charge for the first Accuplacer, but there is a $10 fee if you elect to retest. We advise students to retest only once.
M State students who want to take the Accuplacer at a different location or using a virtual proctor ($25 cost which is the student's responsibility) should email email@example.com or call 877.450.3322 with the following information:
- Name and state of the institution where you want to test
- Which test(s) you will take (reading, math or both)
- First and last name (as it is stated on your college application)
- M State Student ID number (this was included on your acceptance letter)
- Date of birth (month/day/year)
- Email address
As soon as a voucher is successfully created, you will receive a notice directly from Accuplacer with all the information you need.
Students planning to attend another Minnesota State college or university may be able to take the Accuplacer at M State. Contact your home institution to request a voucher and, after your voucher has been generated by your home institution, you can sign up for a testing session at one of our campuses. When you come to test, make sure to bring your voucher information with you.
Drop-in testing on the Moorhead campus
In addition to the regular Accuplacer testing sessions listed above, there are drop-in sessions available on the Moorhead campus. To give yourself enough time to complete the assessment(s), please check in at Student Services (near door S2) as close to the start time as possible. If the assessment is not completed in the time scheduled, you can come back during a different session to finish.
The following sessions are available during the week of February 24th:
- Feb. 24th 12:30-3:30pm
- Feb. 27th 8:30-11:30am
- Feb. 28th 8:30-11:30am