Assessment and placement
At this time, M State has suspended all Accuplacer testing until further notice, to limit the number of visitors needing to come to campus during the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. M State will continue to use ACT, SAT, MCA, Accuplacer scores and previous college coursework to determine course placement. If you have not taken the ACT, SAT or Accuplacer and/or do not have previous college coursework, high school GPA will be used (if high school graudation was within the last ten years) to place students into appropriate courses. Students who do not have a high school GPA available or have been out of high school for longer than 10 years will work with an academic advisor to determine course placement.
Course placement may be determined by:
- Scores from ACT, SAT and/or Minnesota Comprehensive Assesment (MCA)
- Accuplacer assessment
- High school GPA for students who have graduated from high school within the last ten years. In the absence of an official high school transcript, self-reported high school GPA may be submitted to email@example.com.
- Completion of college-level coursework from an accredited college or university
- Guided self-placement
Guided self-placement with an academic advisor will be used for students who have earned a GED or graduated from high school more than ten years ago. It is recommended to have your GED test results available during the meeting with an academic advisor.
If you are using guided self-placement, you will answer these questions to help us place you in the correct courses that support your learning needs to be successful.
- What language did you first learn to speak?
- Which language do you speak most often at home?
- How many years of education (elementary through high school) did you attend in the United States?
Math course placement options:
- Have math transfer credits that satisfy the Minnesota State Goal Area 4: Mathematical/Logical Reasoning requirement, or
- Have an ACT math score of 22 or higher within the past five years
- Have an SAT math score of 530 or higher within the past five years
- Have an MCA math score of 1158 or higher within the past five years
- Have an SAT math score of 520-529 (within the past five years), ACT math score of 20-21 (within the past five years) or NG Accuplacer Advanced Algebra and Functions score of 236-249 (within the past two years) and you have graduated from high school within the past ten years and have a cumulative high school GPA of 2.7 or higher*
- High school GPA, less than ten years old, of 2.8 or above and completion of a high school Algebra II (or equivalent) course with a grade of C or better
English course placement options:
- Have reading/writing transfer credits that satisfy the Minnesota State Goal Area 1 Communications requirement, or
- Have an ACT reading score of 21 or higher or English score of 18 or higher within the past five years
- Have an SAT reading score of 480 or higher or a writing score of 480 or higher within the past five years
- Have an SAT reading score of 400-479, an SAT English score of 440-479, an ACT reading score of 19-20, an ACT English score of 16-17, or a NG Accuplacer Reading score of 236-249 within the past five years and you have graduated from high school within the past ten years and have a cumulative high school GPA of 2.5 or higher.*
- High school GPA, less than ten years old, of 2.6 or above
*Note: M State can not use MCA scores for writing placements.