Assessment and placement
M State uses ACT, SAT, MCA, Accuplacer scores, high school GPA or previous college coursework to determine course placement. Accuplacer assessment testing is now available on campus for students who would like to re-test or have their current course placement re-evaluated.
*Note: M State cannot use MCA scores for writing placements.
Course placement may be determined by:
- Scores from ACT, SAT and/or the Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment (MCA)
- Accuplacer assessment
- High school GPA for students who have graduated from high school within the last 10 years. Transcripts can be emailed in PDF format. In the absence of an official high school transcript, self-reported high school GPA may be submitted to email@example.com.
- Completion of college-level coursework from an accredited college or university
- Guided self-placement
Guided self-placement with an academic advisor will be used for students who have earned a GED or graduated from high school more than 10 years ago. We recommend that you have your GED test results available during the meeting with an academic advisor.
Students who are planning to apply to an M State selective admissions program cannot use guided self-placement.
If you are using guided self-placement, you will be asked these questions to help us place you in the courses that best support your learning needs:
- What language did you first learn to speak?
- Which language do you speak most often at home?
- How many years of education (elementary through high school) did you attend in the United States?
Preparing for Accuplacer
The free Accuplacer study app gives you access to Accuplacer practice materials anytime, anywhere. Choose Next-Generation Practice Tests when prompted. The app includes sample questions and explanations for both correct and incorrect answers. Explore practice questions and get feedback on the skills you need to focus on the most. Jump-start your college journey by preparing for the Accuplacer today!
- Free app
- Sample questions
- Other websites to support you
If you prefer to get in-person help as you prepare, M State partners with local Adult Basic Education offices to provide Accuplacer prep assistance.
- Detroit Lakes
- Fergus Falls
218.998.0544 ext. 9202
Things to know
- A photo ID is required - you cannot test without a photo ID.
- Accuplacer tests are not timed. Testing takes approximately two hours.
- Personal calculators cannot be used, but Accuplacer provides the option of a digital calculator for certain questions.
- We will provide scratch paper and pencils.
- Cell phones must be turned off and stored in a backpack, purse, jacket, etc.
- Children are not allowed in the testing room and may not be left unattended on campus or outside the testing site.
- Your test score results are available immediately after testing is complete.
Students who may need accommodations for placement tests because of a disability should contact the Accessibility Resources staff at the campus where they wish to test by calling or texting 877.450.3322 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students who want to take the Accuplacer a second time should talk to a counselor or academic advisor before signing up to retest. Study materials are available to help students prepare for the Accuplacer. Retests are allowed after two weeks.
For general questions, email our testing coordinator at email@example.com.