Professional Licensure Disclosures

M State offers some programs that are designed to prepare students to apply for licensure examinations and/or certification necessary for employment in the state of Minnesota and/or North Dakota. Professional licensing standards can vary widely from state to state, so completion of these programs may not meet the licensure or certification requirements in other states.

If a student is planning to seek employment in another state, it is important to know the specific licensure or certification requirements of that state before enrolling in a program. Students should contact the appropriate licensing agency in the state in which they plan to seek employment to determine requirements and ensure program compatibility.

Student responsibility

It is recommend that students review the specific academic requirements for their program's applicable licensure board(s) in their state of residence, or in the state where they intend to obtain a license, before beginning an academic program that results in licensure and prior to beginning any internship/practicum. Many licensure boards require more than successful degree completion to obtain a license.

Students must keep M State informed if their location changes so the college can help determine if a program's curriculum will meet out-of-state licensure/certification requirements for employment.

M State makes every effort to ensure information about education requirements for licensure or certification is current, however please be advised that state laws, regulations and policies may change at any time. It is the responsibility of the student completing the licensure program to check with the licensing board(s) in their state of residence, or in the state in which they intend to obtain a license, for the most recent information and requirements. M State shall not be held liable if the student is unable to qualify for licensure or certification in any jurisdiction or cannot obtain a practicum/internship location.

International students

Prior to enrolling in any M State program, prospective students living and/or working outside of the United States should confirm with the appropriate certifying agency whether successful completion of the program will meet credentialing requirements of the country in which the student intends to seek employment, as to certain types of employment or for advanced/specialized educational programs.


If a student is enrolled in a professional licensure program and considering moving to another state, they should contact the program advisor to discuss authorization and licensure eligibility requirements. Relocating to another state may impact if the student can remain in the program, meet the state licensure requirements and/or continue to receive financial aid funding.

Other requirements for employment after graduation

Completing an academic program is typically only one aspect of meeting professional licensure requirements. Many states require that individuals meet additional requirements in order to qualify for licensure, including but not limited to additional coursework and training, supervised clinical experiences, and successful passage of state or national exams. Other licensure requirements may include background checks, years of work experience, fingerprinting requirements, etc. State laws, regulations and policies governing professional licensure may change at any time.

Program accreditation

Some M State programs that result in licensure or certification are accredited by industry specific accrediting bodies. More information about these programs can be found at

National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA)

M State is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA), which allows the college to offer distance learning programs and coursework to residents in states other than Minnesota. NC-SARA membership, however, does not grant reciprocity or exempt members from state professional licensing requirements. As a result, licensing requirements in Minnesota may not be recognized as sufficient to obtain a license in any other state. To learn more, visit


Minnesota State Community and Technical College has been approved to participate in the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements.

Related policies, procedures, regulations and resource

M State Policies

Federal Regulation

  • U.S. Department of Education Code of Federal Regulations, CFR §668.43, section (a)(5)(v) and section (b)


The U.S. Department of Education Code of Federal Regulations CFR §668.43 requires colleges and universities to communicate publicly and directly to prospective and current students if programs leading to a license or certification meet other state's requirements. Click on the program tiles below for the public disclosures indicating if the program meets licensure requirements, does not meet licensure requirements or has not yet been determined for each state. Questions? Email us at

Please note, licensure determinations reflect accurate information about each program to the best of our knowledge, however the decision to grant a license or certification is ultimately the purview of the state. Only state licensing agencies or boards can determine whether an academic program meets or partially meets educational requirements for licensure. M State cannot guarantee an individual’s attainment of any professional licensure or certification, in any field, in any jurisdiction.

Construction Management
Criminal Justice
Electrical Technology
Fire Service Preparation
Health Information Technology/Coding
Limited Scope Radiography
Massage Therapy
Medical Assistant
Medical Coding and Insurance
Medical Lab Tech
Nail Technician
Phlebotomy Technician
Radiologic Technology
Surgical Technology