MLT1110 - Phlebotomy Skills
This course is designed for phlebotomy and medical laboratory technician students. The course covers knowledge and performance of venipuncture, capillary and arterial blood draws. It also emphasizes other body fluid collection, specimen processing, point-of-care analysis and specimen storage.
- Admission to either the Medical Laboratory Technician or the Phlebotomy Technician program.
- Identify preanalytical variables, their effect on blood samples and possible resolutions.
- Determine appropriate patient identification required to properly collect and label patient specimens.
- Perform correct order of draw when collecting multiple tubes of blood.
- Perform phlebotomy procedures (venipuncture and capillary).
- Perform preventive and corrective maintenance on phlebotomy equipment and instrumentation.
- Demonstrate standard safety practices when handling, collecting and processing specimens.
- Discuss the importance of communication and interpersonal skills for the phlebotomist within the laboratory, with patients and with personnel in other health care facility departments.