Prepare yourself for a rewarding career in comprehensive dental hygiene care.
AAS degree, 88 credits
M State’s Dental Hygiene program, offered at our Moorhead campus, prepares students to provide comprehensive dental hygiene care to diverse populations in a variety of settings. Skills include direct patient care, patient assessment, dental hygiene diagnosis, dental hygiene care planning, scaling, root planing, radiographs, preventive measures, sealants, local anesthetic administration, nitrous oxide sedation and customized oral health education.
Students learn the skills to:
- Demonstrate clinical competence required to provide current comprehensive dental hygiene services
- Communicate effectively with patients, peers and dental health team providers by utilizing professional written and oral communication
- Exhibit ethical behavior consistent with dental professional conduct
- Utilize current technology relevant to the dental profession
- Demonstrate basic dental office management skills
- Apply current concepts of infection control and occupational safety
Following graduation and licensure requirements of the State Board of Dentistry, the dental hygienist becomes a primary health care professional, oral health educator and clinician.
How to apply
3. Apply to the Dental Hygiene program (The fall 2024 application will be open from January 2 to February 29.)
The M State Dental Hygiene program is approved by the Minnesota Board of Dentistry and is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA), a specialized accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. The program has been granted the accreditation status of Approval without Reporting Requirements.
CODA can be contacted at 312.440.4653 or 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611-2678. Its web address is http://ww.ada.org/en/coda.