Meets MnTC Goal Area 1. This course clarifies the process of oral communication, clarifies the basic principles of public speaking and allows the student to increase the application of these principles while both speaking and listening.
Assessment into ENGL 1101
- Demonstrate the writing and speaking process through invention, organization, drafting, revision, editing, and presentation.
- Select appropriate communication choices for specific audiences.
- Complete speaking evaluations with an emphasis on listening and responding ethically.
- Demonstrate the ability to make sound rhetorical choices.
- Write and deliver speeches that demonstrate a clear, critical perspective on speech topic.
- Demonstrate the appropriate use of verbal and nonverbal delivery.
- Complete group work with emphasis on cooperative learning and critical thinking.
- Incorporate diverse and ethical supporting material in the speech-making process.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of logical and coherent arguments for the purpose of persuasion.