Diploma - 60 credits
About this program
Graphic design focuses on the integration of digital technology and graphic design to create communication materials for print, multimedia and online production. Students develop creatively and technically as they learn skills in the principles of design and related software, as well as production methods and specifications for a variety of industry products. Students are trained to be task-oriented by learning to meet deadlines, solve problems and work efficiently, along with learning industry expectations and best practices. They also are trained in the methods of compiling and presenting a personal portfolio of their work in both print and online forms to assist in the job search for entry-level employment.
- Demonstrate the ability to produce visual concepts using drawing and computer methods.
- Interpret, speak, write and edit the language of advertising, graphic design, digital graphic technology and print production.
- Demonstrate entry-level industry proficiency utilizing multiple methods for producing graphic output.
- Apply theories of design, color and typography.
- Demonstrate professionalism, i.e., participation in classroom activities, personal accountability and meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrate understanding of print and web production.
Minnesota State Community and Technical College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, a regional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. More information can be found at www.minnesota.edu/accreditation.
1st Fall Term - 15 credits
|GDTC1100 - Macintosh Production Processes||3|
|GDTC1105 - Adobe Photoshop I||3|
|GDTC1113 - Design and Layout I||3|
|GDTC1120 - Adobe InDesign I||3|
|GDTC1135 - Adobe Illustrator I||3|
1st Spring Term - 15 credits
|GDTC1115 - Design and Layout II||3|
|GDTC1124 - Interactive Design I||3|
|GDTC2120 - Adobe InDesign II||3|
|GDTC2205 - Adobe Photoshop II||3|
|GDTC2245 - Adobe Illustrator II||3|
2nd Fall Term - 15 credits
|ENGL1101 - College Writing||3|
|GDTC1126 - Digital Photography||3|
|GDTC1150 - Process Printing Theory||3|
|GDTC2212 - Design and Layout III||3|
|GDTC2278 - Digital Preflight||3|
2nd Spring Term - 15 credits
|COMM1120 - Introduction to Public Speaking||3|
|GDTC2224 - Interactive Design II||3|
|GDTC2230 - Design Portfolio||3|
|GDTC2250 - Design Campaigns||3|
|GDTC2258 - Graphic Design Professional Practices||3|