M State’s Environmental Science program provides a strong foundation for a four-year degree that prepares you for a career in an environmental field.
M State’s AS degree in Environmental Science provides a strong foundation for a four-year environmental science degree that prepares you for a career in an environmental field. The program emphasizes a broad background in the natural sciences, ensuring you are prepared for further study at an advanced level.
The 60-credit degree is offered on our Fergus Falls and Moorhead campuses. Our small class sizes mean personalized instruction in courses including environmental science, biology, chemistry, college writing, college algebra, statistics, geography and political science.
Environmental scientists work in a broad range of fields, depending on their skills and area of specialty. There are career opportunities in state and federal agencies, environmental education, environmental advocacy organizations, environmental consulting firms, environmental law and the energy industry. Many career options in environmental science require a bachelor's or advanced degree, and M State's AS in Environmental Science will put you on a path to earning that degree.
Here is what you'll learn
- Use the scientific method to formulate and test hypotheses through experimental design
- Explain and apply the basic principles of natural and physical sciences
- Relate the principles of biology and chemistry to environmental systems
- Evaluate the interrelations of human social, ethical and political issues and the natural environment
- Apply, evaluate and synthesize laboratory techniques, field methods, data collection and data analysis
M State has articulation agreements that allow students who earn an Environmental Science AS degree to transfer seamlessly to:
- Environmental Studies BS, Bemidji State University
- Project Management BS, Minnesota State University Moorhead
- Environmental Science BS, University of Minnesota, Crookston, with an emphasis in:
- Agricultural Environmental Stewardship
- Environmental Ecology
- Environmental Health
- Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
- Water Quality