M State's AS degree in Environmental Science provides a broad education in natural sciences and mathematics, ensuring you will have a solid science background for advanced study at a four-year college or university.
The 60-credit degree is offered on our Fergus Falls and Moorhead campuses and includes courses in environmental science, biology, chemistry, college writing, college algebra, trigonometry, calculus, statistics and physics.
Environmental scientists work in a broad range of fields, depending on their skills and area of specialty. There are career opportunities in state and federal agencies, environmental education, environmental advocacy organizations, environmental consulting firms, environmental law and the energy industry. Many career options in environmental science require a bachelor's or advanced degree, and M State's AS in Environmental Science will put you on a path to earning that degree.
Here is what you'll learn
- Use of the scientific method to formulate and test hypotheses
- Basic principles of natural and physical sciences
- Relationship of the principles of biology, chemistry and physics to environmental systems
- Connections between human social, ethical and political issues and the environment
- Laboratory techniques, field methods, data collection and data analysis
M State has articulation agreements that allow students who earn an Environmental Science AS degree to transfer seamlessly to:
- Environmental Studies BS, Bemidji State University
- Project Management BS, Minnesota State University Moorhead
- Environmental Science BS, University of Minnesota, Crookston, with an emphasis in:
- Agricultural Environmental Stewardship
- Environmental Ecology
- Environmental Health
- Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
- Water Quality