M State has a proud history of excellence in the fine arts and provides an array of opportunities that allow you to pursue your interests in the performing arts.
M State's Associate of Fine Arts in Music, offered on our Fergus Falls campus, provides both a vocal and instrumental focus. With the foundation provided by the AFA degree, graduates can seamlessly transfer into a bachelor's degree program and earn a four-year music degree in preparation for careers in musical performance, composition, music education, music therapy or music business and industry.
Our exceptional music facilities include an instrumental and choral rehearsal hall, music composition computer lab, piano studios and Steinway performance grand piano. Our talented music directors have led groups to national distinction, including performances at Carnegie Hall in New York City.
The musical experiences open to students in the program include:
- National travel for performances
- Jazz Extravaganza
- Madrigal Feast
- Musical Theatre
- Sophomore Recitals
- Field trips to art museums and an opera
Here is what you'll learn
- Technical proficiency and interpretive competency with your chosen instrument
- Understanding of the cultural and historical development of music
- Ability to apply critical thought through technical and compositional analysis of written music
- Ability to articulate an informed personal reaction to music study
- Ability to interpret and perform a variety of musical styles within a collaborative context
- Working knowledge of the role of technology in the musical arts
Music scholarships are available
Thanks to Fergus Area College Foundation, music scholarships are available for students on M State's Fergus Falls campus. Students do not need to be a music major to apply for a music scholarship.
You can visit the FACF site for more information and to submit a scholarship application.
The deadline for submitting a digital scholarship audition is Friday, May 29. For the digital audition you need to:
- Prepare two pieces of contrasting styles for performance.
- Audio/video record your two contrasting pieces.
- Upload the recording to your YouTube account.
- Email the link to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Obtain two letters of recommendation from music directors, teachers, counselors, etc. The recommendations should be emailed by May 29 to email@example.com.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
M State's Music program has an articulation agreement with Southwest Minnesota State University. Graduates who earn an Associate of Fine Arts in Music from M State can transfer seamlessly into Southwest State's bachelor degree program in Music.