M State's Associate of Fine Arts in Music, offered on our Fergus Falls campus, provides both a vocal and instrumental focus. With the foundation provided by the AFA degree, graduates can seamlessly transfer into a bachelor's degree program and earn a four-year music degree in preparation for careers in musical performance, composition, music education, music therapy or music business and industry.
Our exceptional music facilities include an instrumental and choral rehearsal hall, music composition computer lab, piano studios and Steinway performance grand piano. Our talented music directors have led groups to national distinction, including performances at Carnegie Hall in New York City.
The musical experiences open to students in the program include:
- National travel for performances
- Jazz Extravaganza
- Madrigal Feast
- Musical Theatre
- Sophomore Recitals
- Field trips to art museums and an opera
Here is what you'll learn
- Technical proficiency and interpretive competency with your chosen instrument
- Understanding of the cultural and historical development of music
- Ability to apply critical thought through technical and compositional analysis of written music
- Ability to articulate an informed personal reaction to music study
- Ability to interpret and perform a variety of musical styles within a collaborative context
- Working knowledge of the role of technology in the musical arts
M State's Music program has an articulation agreement with Southwest Minnesota State University. Graduates who earn an Associate of Fine Arts in Music from M State can transfer seamlessly into Southwest State's bachelor degree program in Music.