Students in M State’s Cybersecurity program will gain a strong foundation in computer and network security, preparing for careers in the expanding and crucial fields of information security. The program focuses on IT security and networking skills with emphasis on protecting data and networks from cyber threats. Students learn to perform penetration testing, perform and document results for security risk assessments and implement security measures.
Many of the courses utilize specific industry certifications standards. An industry advisory board actively guides class and curriculum development, ensuring that students are learning the skills that are in demand in the IT and cybersecurity fields.
The 60-credit AAS degree and 30-credit certificate are offered on our Moorhead campus.
Here is what you'll learn in our AAS degree program
- Use mechanisms available in an operating system to control access to resources
- Configure infrastructure server roles
- Investigate various countermeasures and security controls to minimize risk and exposure
- Support the ethical responsibility of ensuring software correctness, reliability and safety
- Illustrate through examples the concepts of risk, threats, vulnerabilities, attack vectors and exploits
- Analyze known security incidents to trace and document the steps in the incident
- Develop technical artifacts
- Examine ethical issues related to cybersecurity
- Write a company-wide security policy
- Communicate effectively and efficiently with clients, users and peers
- Design and build virtual computing environments
- Construct input validation and data sanitization in applications, considering adversarial control of the input channel
Industry training opportunities
Cybersecurity also has training cohorts available through M State's Workforce Development Solutions team.
- The Cisco 1 and Cisco 2 courses teach to the Cisco Certified Entry Level Network Technician (CCENT) certification and the CompTIA Network+ certification.
- The Network Security course teaches to the CompTIA Security+ certification.
The courses are enhanced with hands-on lab activities using our Techturf virtual lab environment. Please note the certification exams are not included as part of the coursework.
After 25 years working in the IT industry, my employer closed their Fargo office and sent the jobs to other locations around the world. Not having a degree in my field negatively impacted my search for a new job.