M State's Nail Technician certificate prepares you to specialize in providing nail services to clients.
M State's 16-credit Nail Technician certificate, offered on our Wadena campus, provides students with a comprehensive background in all aspects of the job of a nail technician: dermatology; structure, growth and health of the nail; chemistry as it relates to manicuring; and professional sanitation and safety procedures.
The program teaches skills including cleaning, conditioning, shaping, reinforcing, coloring and enhancing nails, as well as applying and repairing artificial nails. Program highlights include spa manicures and pedicures including arm, hand and foot massage; flat and dimensional nail art; and UV light-cured acrylics and gel lacquers.
Students learn through hands-on instruction, including in our campus cosmetology clinic.
The Board of Cosmetologists requires 350 hours of clinical time and passing a state exam to become licensed in the state of Minnesota.
Here is what you'll learn:
- Knowledge and technical procedures to perform all manicuring skills proficiently
- Ethical behavior and human relation skills related to patrons, employers and coworkers
- Professionalism in the manicuring salon environment
- State rules and regulations related to manicurist license holders
- State of Minnesota sanitation and safety requirements
- Evaluation of disorders or diseases that should be referred to a physician
- Uses and safety requirements of all equipment and supplies in the manicuring salon
- Preparation of chemical formulas necessary to perform nail services