Certificate - 16 credits
About this program
The Nail Technician program is designed to give students a thorough knowledge of dermatology, the structure, growth and health of the nail, and chemistry as it relates to manicuring, as well as sanitation and safety procedures related to the practice of manicuring. Instruction will cover applied studies and skills in cleaning, conditioning, shaping, reinforcing, coloring and enhancing nails, as well as the application and repair of artificial nails.The Board of Cosmetology, which is the cosmetology licensing body, requires 350 hours of clinical time in order to become licensed in the State of Minnesota. Upon completion of 350 hours and passing of the state exam, a license will be issued.
- Relate the knowledge and technical procedures to perform proficiently in all nail technician skills.
- Apply ethical behaviors and human relation skills with patrons, employers and co-workers.
- Show professionalism in response to all relationships in the nail technician salon environment.
- Know and understand the Minnesota state laws, rules and regulations that pertain to the individual policies and responsibilities of nail technician license holders.
- Employ sanitation procedures and perform safety procedures in compliance with Minnesota laws and rules.
- Evaluate skin and nail disorders or diseases that should be referred to a physician.
- Prepare and know the specific uses and safety of all equipment and supplies used in the nail technician salon.
- Prepare the chemical formulas necessary to ensure accurate product knowledge to perform nail services.
Minnesota State Community and Technical College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, a regional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. The Higher Learning Commission 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500 Chicago, IL 60604-1411 http://www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org Phone: 312.263.0456 / 800.621.7440
|6||Restricted electives in special requirements|
Nail Technician - Certificate
|6 COSM1200-Salon Practicum|
1st Fall Term - 16 credits