Specialize in the treatment and care of skin by completing the Esthetician certificate program at M State.
As an esthetician, you'll provide skin care treatments to the face and body. Our 24-credit certificate program, offered at our Wadena campus, provides the needed training in anatomy, dermatology and chemistry as they relate to skin care.
Students work with customers in the campus clinic/salon under the supervision of instructors who have years of industry experience.
Job duties of estheticians encompass facials, full-body treatments, varied skin treatments, hair removal including waxing and sugaring, facial massages, eyelash and eyebrow tinting and makeup application.
When you've completed 600 hours of clinical time, you'll be eligible to take the Minnesota cosmetology licensing exam and become licensed as an esthetician in Minnesota.
Here's what you will learn
- Technical procedures to perform the skills required of estheticians.
- Ethical behavior and skills needed for working with patrons, employers and coworkers.
- Professional expectations in salons.
- State regulations for esthetician license holders.
- Minnesota sanitation standards and laws related to estheticians.
- Evaluation of disorders or diseases that should be referred to a physician.
- Preparation, use and safety of all equipment and supplies in salons.
- Preparation of chemical formulas and knowledge of products used to perform esthetician services.