HRES2224 - Employee/Labor Relations
This course covers basic information about the history and current role of labor unions, current labor laws and the rights of employees.
- Review the historical background of unionism.
- Review the role of the National Labor Relations Board.
- Examine the different approaches to unionism.
- Identify the labor union's current role in society.
- Describe the major elements of the collective bargaining process.
- Review the effects of labor law on union and management.
- Compare the positions of both union and management related to the employee/employer relationship.
- Relate the importance of interpersonal communication, trust and conflict management skills in employee relations.
- Interpret the elements of a typical grievance procedure.
- Identify the differences of public and private sector bargaining.
- Identify and use the dispute resolution process to manage conflict in settling workplace disputes.
- Analyze existing labor agreements.
- Demonstrate contract negotiation techniques.