Prepare at M State to fill the growing need for skilled professionals in the health care industry.
M State's 16-credit certificate program in Phlebotomy trains phlebotomy technicians to draw blood from patients for various laboratory tests and procedures needed as part of patient diagnosis and treatment.
The program, offered on our Fergus Falls campus, provides training in bedside testing and in computer and communication skills. Students learn the skills needed for employment in an outpatient clinic or hospital setting. The one-semester program includes a five-week clinical experience in an affiliate health care facility.
Students in the program must have current immunizations and undergo a criminal background check.
Graduates are prepared for the phlebotomy Board of Certification exam.
Here is what you'll learn
- Proper collection and processing of biological specimens for analysis
- Point of care (bedside) testing according to laboratory policies and procedures, including troubleshooting unexpected results and instrument malfunction
- Safety and infection control standards in the collection and processing of biological specimens
- Maintenance of accurate records for quality assurance and quality control
- Ethical standards and professional communication with health care professionals, patients and the public