Sonography - Echocardiography Technology
Associate of Applied Science (AAS) - 60 credits
About this program
Sonography is a noninvasive imaging technology that visualizes the body's tissue and organs with sound waves to assist in diagnosing diseases. Echocardiography (ultrasound of the heart) is a specialized field of sonography that requires professional training to assist physicians in diagnosing diseases and assessing overall cardiac health. The Echocardiography Technology program prepares students to become entry-level cardiac sonographers competent in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills) and affective (behavior) learning domains of professional echocardiography. This program includes training for an in-demand practice area that meets a healthcare workforce need and complements existing allied health programs at M State. Upon successfully completing coursework and clinical experiences, students will have developed the minimum knowledge and competencies to sit for registry exams in the echocardiography profession. Moreover, the student will have the opportunity to learn to work effectively with other allied healthcare professionals, patients and families to promote patient safety, diagnosis and recovery.
- Participate as an active healthcare team member, demonstrating professional behavior, communication and collaboration.
- Demonstrate proficient use of echocardiography technology, equipment, supplies and instruments.
- Demonstrate professional and ethical behaviors consistent with the role of an echocardiography technician.
- Demonstrate effective communication with patients, families and other members of a cardiovascular team.
- Demonstrate respect for individual patients, maintaining their dignity, rights and beliefs.
- Demonstrate problem-solving and critical thinking to improve the health of patients and the broader community.
Minnesota State Community and Technical College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, a regional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. The Higher Learning Commission 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500 Chicago, IL 60604-1411 http://www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org Phone: 312.263.0456 / 800.621.7440
1st Fall Term - 16 credits
1st Spring Term - 13 credits
|BIOL2262 - Human Anatomy and Physiology II||3|
|BIOL2263 - Human Anatomy and Physiology II Lab||1|
|ECHO1110 - Adult Echocardiography II||3|
|ECHO1115 - Adult Echocardiography Lab II||3|
|ECHO1125 - Ultrasound Physics and Instrumentation II||3|
2nd Fall Term - 15 credits
|COMM1140 - Interpersonal Communication||3|
|ECHO2100 - Adult Echocardiography III||3|
|ECHO2110 - Ultrasound Physics Review||2|
|ECHO2200 - Adult Echocardiography Clinical I||7|
2nd Spring Term - 16 credits
|ECHO2210 - Adult Echocardiography Clinical II||10|
|PHIL1200 - Applied and Professional Ethics||3|
|PSYC1200 - General Psychology||3|