CHEM1100 - Fundamental Concepts of Chemistry
Meets MnTC Goal Areas 2 and 3. Course deals with substances, their structures and properties, the changes they undergo and the laws that govern those changes. Intended for prospective elementary teachers, non-science majors and those who need background for General Chemistry. This course includes a lab.
- MATH0095 or placement by assessment
- Outline a brief history of chemistry.
- Define matter.
- Outline the states of matter.
- Perform metric measurements of matter.
- Analyze the chemical elements.
- Characterize atomic structure.
- Interpret the periodic table.
- Compare chemical bonding schemes.
- Summarize chemical nomenclature.
- Analyze chemical reactions and equations.
- Perform stoichiometric calculations.
- Analyze gases.
- Analyze liquids.
- Outline basic organic chemistry.
- Use the scientific method to solve problems.
- Collect experimental data.
- Analyze data.
- Communicate results in oral or written form.
2. Critical Thinking
3. Natural Sciences