Associate of Applied Science (AAS) - 60 credits
About this program
Medical laboratory technicians perform a wide range of routine laboratory procedures associated with blood and body fluid analysis. In cooperation with affiliate health care facilities, the college offers a two-year hybrid program (online lectures, campus-based labs) for training medical laboratory technicians. The curriculum includes general education, science, medical laboratory technician courses and a 16-week clinical experience at an affiliate health care laboratory. Upon completion of the program, students are prepared for the American Society of Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Board of Certification exam. The majority of Medical Laboratory Technology graduates work in hospital and clinic laboratories. Graduates may articulate to a four-year institution to receive a bachelor of science degree in Medical Laboratory Science.
- Evaluate the importance of patient identification, collection, transport, and processing of blood and body fluid specimens for analysis.
- Safely collect and process biological specimens for analysis.
- Perform accurate laboratory testing including quality assurance and quality control procedures.
- Operate laboratory instruments/analyzers and perform preventive and corrective maintenance when required.
- Demonstrate multitasking skills where a wide variety of testing procedures are performed.
- Correlate didactic and clinical phases of laboratory education in the evaluation and interpretation of laboratory test data.
- Demonstrate career entry competencies as defined by NAACLS.
- Demonstrate professional conduct and interpersonal communication skills with patients, lab personnel, health care professionals and the public.
The Higher Learning Commission 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500 Chicago, IL 60604-1411 http://www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org Phone: 312.263.0456 / 800.621.7440
1st Fall Term - 16 credits
1st Spring Term - 17 credits
2nd Fall Term - 12 credits
|MLT1110 - Phlebotomy Skills||2|
|MLT2130 - Diagnostic Chemistry||4|
|MLT2265 - Diagnostic Microbiology||4|
|MLT2350 - Professional Issues in Medical Laboratory Technology||2|