ART1127 - Art History: Prehistory to the Middle Ages
Meets MnTC Goal Areas 2, 6 and 8. This course is a survey of architecture, painting and sculpture and their historical and social contexts. Specific periods from prehistoric through the Middle Ages will be introduced.
- Explain the characteristics of various artistic mediums such as painting, sculpture and architecture.
- Explain the basic visual elements and principles of design present in all works of art, and explain works of art in terms of these elements and principles.
- Analyze the major movements, periods of art and the stylistic characteristics which differentiate them, and identify key examples of those styles.
- Analyze the historical, religious and social circumstances that shape the history of art.
- Analyze the work of artists as expressions of human values within an historical, cultural and social context.
- Describe the lives and work of individual artists, the influences upon them and their stylistic development.
- Express informed personal responses to works of art in written papers and/or class discussions.
- Write critical and analytical essays using academic research and scholarship.
2. Critical Thinking
6. The Humanities and Fine Arts
8. Global Perspective