M State students will be able to earn their Associate of Arts (A.A.) degree without the additional cost of textbooks by enrolling in Z-Degree designated courses. Beginning fall semester 2022, M State will offer over 100 Z-Degree designated courses which use open educational resource materials rather than costly textbooks. Any M State student can take Z-degree classes and students may take as many Z-degree classes as desired or available.
- Why would I want to take a Z-Degree class?
Z-Degree classes provide the same quality as regular classes, minus the cost of the textbook.
- Can anyone take zero-textbook-cost classes?
Anyone can take a Z-Degree class, as long as they meet the pre-requisites associated with the class itself.
- How do I register for a Z-Degree class?
Z-Degree classes are available for course registration like any other course. Let your advisor know that you are interested in taking a Z-Degree class, and they can help you select classes.
You can also see the available Z-Degree courses in e-services:
- Open eServices
- You will need your StarID and Password
- Go to eServices
- Expand Faculty main menu to select “Student e-services”
- Select “Courses and Registration” tab
- Select “Search for a Course” tab
- Make applicable campus/semester/other selections then “Expand for Advanced Search”
- Locate “Textbook Cost” in expanded menu then select “No cost for textbooks.” Hit “Search”
- All courses on resulting page will be Zero-Cost Textbook courses
- Note: There are not any visual indicators of ZCTs on this page
- Select the course title to open detailed view
- “Zero-Cost Textbook Course” is listed first in course notes
- This note is always listed with the course regardless of advanced or regular search settings Note: This notation will also be visible on the schedule posted to the college website.
- Open eServices
- Am I limited to the classes that are on the Z-Degree list?
No. You can take come classes that are zero textbook cost and some courses that are not. Just remember, you save money with zero textbook courses because you don’t have to buy a textbook. New accordion content
- How do I access materials for my Z-degree?
How you will access your materials is dependent on what texts and educational resources your instructor chooses to use. Typically, materials can be viewed on the web at no cost, however some materials may also be available in article or book form via local libraries. In some cases, materials may be downloaded to a laptop, tablet, phone, or other personal device.
- Are class supplies free?
There may be additional charges for class supplies such as a notebook, art supplies or tools. Please refer to the tuition and fees section for each course for any additional course material costs.
- How do I learn more about the Z-degree?
Speak with your advisor today. If you aren’t sure who your advisor is, sign into SpartanNet. Your advisor will be listed on the right-hand side of the page near the top.New accordion content