Associate of Applied Science (AAS) - 60 credits
About this program
The Surgical Technology program prepares competent entry-level surgical technologists in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills) and affective (behavior) learning domains. Graduates will have the entry-level knowledge to assist surgeons and be active members of the surgical team. Throughout the perioperative experience, students will demonstrate proficiency in surgical asepsis with the preparation and use of surgical equipment, instruments and supplies while employing an understanding of anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology and microbiology.
- Participate as an active member of the perioperative team.
- Demonstrate professional behaviors, communication and collaboration in providing safe patient care.
- Apply concepts of patient safety, asepsis and infection control throughout the patientâ€™s perioperative experience.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the use of surgical equipment, supplies and instruments in providing patient care.
- Demonstrate professional and ethical skills and behaviors consistent with the role of surgical technologist.
- Demonstrate effective therapeutic communication with the patient and other members of the perioperative team.
- Demonstrate respect for the dignity, rights, beliefs and values of a diverse population of patients.
- Demonstrate efficient use of technology in the perioperative setting, including appropriate use of social media.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and problem solving.
Minnesota State Community and Technical College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, a regional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. The Higher Learning Commission 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500 Chicago, IL 60604-1411 http://www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org Phone: 312.263.0456 / 800.621.7440
|0 Complete MATH0095 or test into a higher level math course|
|0 Eligibility Criteria: GPA 2.0 or higher or a C in required courses|
|0 Program Pre-requisites: American Heart Association Health Care Provider CPR MDH Background Check National Background Check Developmental Education with C or better Health Form/Immunization documentation|
1st Fall Term - 17 credits
1st Spring Term - 16 credits
2nd Fall Term - 16 credits
|SURT1230 - Surgical Technology III||4|
|SURT1250 - Surgical Clinical I||6|
|SURT1255 - Surgical Clinical II||6|
2nd Spring Term - 11 credits
|SURT1215 - Surgical Pharmacology||3|
|SURT1220 - Surgical Technology II||5|
|SURT1225 - Surgical Pathophysiology||3|