HITM2286 - Advanced Medical Coding
This course provides advanced cases for students to code utilizing various classification systems, with added emphasis on evaluating and auditing code assignment.
- Utilize information technologies in the assignment of diagnostic and procedural codes.
- Complete the assignment of diagnostic and procedural codes and groupings in accordance with official guidelines.
- Evaluate the assignment of diagnostic and procedural codes and groupings in accordance with official guidelines.
- Justify appropriate use of coding guidelines for presented case scenarios.
- Develop education plans based on code assignment evaluation outcomes.
- Develop physician queries.
- Interpret national correct coding initiative (NCCI) triggers and national coverage determinations.
- Identify present on admission (POA) status.
- Describe components of clinical documentation integrity (CDI).
- Explore outcomes of fraudulent clinical documentation and code assignment.
Degrees that use this course
Associate of Applied Science (AAS)