HITM2283 - Intermediate Diagnosis Coding
This course is a continuation of coding guidelines using the current International Classification of Diseases. Students will practice assigning diagnosis codes to clinical information found in a health record while maintaining ethical coding standards.
- Evaluate the accuracy of diagnostic coding using sample exercises and medical records.
- Verify the documentation in a health record is timely, complete and accurate.
- Comply with ethical standards of practice.
- Abstract clinical information from medical documentation.
- Apply coding concepts to chapter-specific guidelines.
- Determine the principal and secondary diagnoses from patient encounter documentation.
- Apply diagnosis codes according to current regulations and guidelines.
- Utilize various coding references for ICD-10-CM.
- Describe information systems utilized in the assignment of diagnosis codes.
Degrees that use this course
Associate of Applied Science (AAS)