HITM2218 - Intermediate Procedure Coding
This course is a continuation of coding guidelines using the current procedural classification systems. Students will practice assigning procedure codes to clinical information found in a health record while maintaining ethical coding standards.
- Abstract clinical information from medical documentation.
- Apply procedure codes according to current regulations and guidelines.
- Apply coding concepts to chapter-specific guidelines.
- Determine appropriate evaluation and management services based on patient encounter documentation.
- Verify documentation in a health record is timely, complete and accurate.
- Utilize various coding references for ICD-10-PCS (International Classification of Diseases - 10th Revision - Procedure Coding System), CPT (Current Procedural Terminology) and HCPCS (Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System).
- Describe information systems utilized in the assignment of procedure codes.
- Comply with ethical standards of practice.
- Evaluate the accuracy of procedure coding using sample exercises and medical records.
Degrees that use this course
Associate of Applied Science (AAS)