HITM1220 - Foundations of Medical Coding
This course introduce students to coding and classification systems used in the delivery of health care, along with the basic rules and regulations of coding.
- Identify and describe the differences between the various classification systems utilized for diagnosis coding.
- Identify and describe the differences between the various classification systems utilized for procedure coding.
- Understand which classification system is utilized for various health care settings.
- Explain the purpose of general equivalence mapping.
- Recognize expressions, symbols and terms used in the field of medicine.
- Explain the function of the Standard Nomenclature of Medicine-Clinical Terminology (SNOMED CT).
- Assess compliance with American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) standards of ethical coding.
- Identify available coding guideline resources.
- Determine which coding guidelines to apply to various clinical documentation.
- Define the role of a medical coder.
- Identify software used in the assignment of diagnostic and procedural codes.
Degrees that use this course
Associate of Applied Science (AAS)