DNHY1112 - Dental Hygiene Practice I
This course provides an introduction to dental hygiene with emphasis on the practice of preventive dentistry, care and use of equipment, sterilization techniques and an introduction to instrumentation.
- Apply infection control techniques in a clinical setting.
- Demonstrate sterilization and disinfection techniques.
- Demonstrate patient and operator positioning.
- Demonstrate instrument grasps.
- Demonstrate uses of the dental mirror.
- Demonstrate caries detection.
- Demonstrate preparation and recording of personal, medical and dental histories.
- Demonstrate taking and recording vital signs.
- Demonstrate intraoral and extraoral exam.
- Demonstrate periodontal probe use.
- Demonstrate soft tissue exam/gingival description.
- Demonstrate Gracey curette and scaler instrument activation.
- Demonstrate calculus detection.
- Clean and polish removable dental appliances.
Degrees that use this course
Associate of Applied Science (AAS)