ART1140 - Handbuilt Ceramics
Meets MnTC Goal Area 6F. This course will develop the skills of ceramics, focusing on handbuilding. Using the methods of coil, pinching and slab building, the students will make a variety of forms, ranging from functional to sculptural. Students will create finished products, including the use of glaze and other finishes. The nature of handbuilding techniques provides a more immediate opportunity to express creativity.
- Use coil techniques to create a variety of forms.
- Create a variety of ceramic forms, from functional to sculptural.
- Generate finished ceramic products.
- Explore the history and development of handbuilt ceramics.
- Explore the creative aspects of handbuilt techniques (compared to the more technical aspects of wheel thrown ceramics).
- Explore design elements and how they relate to three-dimensional work.
- Use the pinching method to create a finished work.
- Use the slab method to create a variety of forms.
- Use a variety of glazing, surface design and firing methods to create finished pieces.
6. The Humanities and Fine Arts