Meets MnTC Goal Area 6F. This course will develop the skills of ceramics, focusing on handbuilding. Using the methods of coil, pinching and slab building, the students will make a variety of forms, ranging from functional to sculptural. Students will create finished products, including the use of glaze and other finishes. The nature of handbuilding techniques provides a more immediate opportunity to express creativity.
- Use coil techniques to create a variety of forms.
- Create a variety of ceramic forms, from functional to sculptural.
- Generate finished ceramic products.
- Explore the history and development of handbuilt ceramics.
- Explore the creative aspects of handbuilt techniques (compared to the more technical aspects of wheel thrown ceramics).
- Explore design elements and how they relate to three-dimensional work.
- Use the pinching method to create a finished work.
- Use the slab method to create a variety of forms.
- Use a variety of glazing, surface design and firing methods to create finished pieces.
6. The Humanities and Fine Arts