ART1129 - Art History: African, Asian, Islamic and Mesoamerican
Meets MnTC Goal Areas 2, 6 and 8. Students will explore the influences and philosophies that have impacted art in regions outside of the Western world. Topics vary but will include the origins and historic development of art in African, Asian, Islamic and Mesoamerican cultures.
- Explain the characteristics of various artistic mediums such as painting, sculpture and architecture.
- Explain the basic visual elements and principles of design present in all works of art, and explain works of art in terms of these elements and principles.
- Analyze the major movements, periods of art and the stylistic characteristics that differentiate them, and identify key examples of those styles.
- Analyze the historical, religious and social circumstances that shape the history of art.
- Analyze the work of artists as expressions of human values within an historical, cultural and social context.
- Describe the lives and work of individual artists, the influences upon them and their stylistic development.
- Express informed personal responses to works of art in written papers and/or class discussions.
- Write critical and analytical essays using academic research and scholarship.
2. Critical Thinking
6. The Humanities and Fine Arts
8. Global Perspective