Academic advising at M State is an educational partnership focused on student success. Students work with their advisor to develop a plan for achieving their academic and career goals while making informed and increasingly independent decisions.Vision:
Empower students to become engaged in their own academic success.
There are two types of advisors at M State, program faculty advisors and academic advisors. You will be assigned an advisor based on your program of study. You can easily find your advisor's name on your SpartanNet homepage.
Advisors will assist you with:
· Academic planning based on your educational goals
· Interpreting your Degree Audit
· Tips on how to be a successful college student
· Connecting to support resources such as tutoring, counseling and accessibility resources
· Transfer resources
· Navigating college
To maximize academic advising:
· Familiarize yourself with your program plan (it's listed on your program page)
· Review your Degree Audit to see which courses are needed to complete your degree
· Search the class schedule and select the courses you'd like to take
· Examine your academic interests, share relevant information and clarify your career goals prior to and during your appointment
· Research transfer college options
· Prepare questions to ask at your appointment
· Schedule and keep advising appointments
Advising planning sessions are best accomplished during an individual appointment. Students assigned to a professional advisor may schedule an appointment in person or by calling (or texting) the Support Center. Students assigned a program faculty advisor should contact him/her directly to schedule advising appointments.
During higher-volume times of the semester professional academic advisors meet with students on a first-come, first-serve walk-in/call-in basis. Professional advisors are also available throughout the semester for quick questions during designated walk-in/call-in times.
Last modified: April 23rd, 2019 at 11:08am