Student Directory Data Policy
Student email addresses and StarID numbers are defined as Limited Directory Data for enterprise technology related purposes internal to the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system that are approved by System Office IT, including, but not limited to, inclusion of email addresses and StarID numbers in a directory accessible to Minnesota State students and employees.
Minnesota State Community and Technical College designates the following information as directory data:
- Student name
- Items needed to be accepted to the college and/or to a selective admissions program
- Categories of holds preventing a student from registering for classes (i.e., academic or business office)
- Major field of study
- Honors, awards and scholarships
- Most recent educational agency or institute attended
- Dates of attendance
- Weight and height (used for student athletes only)
- Dates of graduation, certification and awards
Because directory data is considered public, the college will release such information to anyone upon request except for the directory data of students who have requested suppression. Students who wish to suppress their directory data may do so by using the Release of Information form available on the college’s website and selecting the DO NOT RELEASE option, which will remain in effect until a change is requested in writing.
Restricting your name will result in:
- Name not being listed in commencement publications
- Denial of all student directory information being released to third parties
- M State will not verify enrollment or attendance
Students who wish to override a suppression request for a specific party or purpose may do so by providing a written authorization to the Registrar’s Office with the specific details of the override.
Minnesota State Community and Technical College designates the following information as limited directory data:
- Permanent address
- Telephone number
- Students’ personal and/work email address (if supplied by student)
- Students’ college email address
- Student Star ID numbers
This information will be released with limitations:
- Student contact information, including college and/or personal email address and StarID, at the discretion of the college may be made available to third party vendors that provide contracted services for the college.
- Students’ college email addresses and StarID numbers are approved for inclusion in the Office 365 Global Address List.
- Second-year students’ mailing addresses and institutional email addresses will be disclosed to Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system universities for recruitment or marketing communications related to degree transfer.
- Former and current students’ phone numbers, addresses and college and/or personal email addresses (if supplied by the student) may be disclosed to the M State Foundations (Fergus Area College Foundation and M State Foundation) for events, fundraising, scholarship, and membership opportunities.
- Notwithstanding any other provision of this policy, the following information is defined as Limited Directory Data for purposes of sharing with LeadMN so the association can communicate with their members: Student name, e-mail address, and Student Change Code (NEW/RTN/DROP)
- In accordance with the Solomon Amendment, a federal law allowing military recruiters to access some address, biographical and academic program information on students age 17 and older, the college will provide the following student information upon request, unless the student has elected to suppress their information: Student name, address, telephone number, date of birth, class level, home campus and academic major.
The suppression of directory data also includes a suppression of limited directory data unless the student provides a written authorization to release limited directory data to the Registrar’s Office.
Should a student request suppression of their directory data, the full functionality of Office 365 may not be available to them due to their removal from the Global Address List for the college.
Records of Deceased Students
Upon a student’s death, education records retain the same classification that applied prior to the student’s death and shall be handled in accordance with privacy laws applicable to data on decedents including, but not limited to, Minn. Stat. §13.10. Rights of the deceased student who is the subject of private or confidential data may be exercised by the representative of the deceased student. Nonpublic data concerning a deceased student that is created or collected after death are also accessible by the representative of the deceased student.
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, 20 U.S.C; 34 CFR Part 99 Minnesota
Government Data Practices Act, Chapter 13 of Minnesota Statutes
Associated Policies and Procedures
|Date||Description of Change|
Added language to include alumni contact information may be disclosed to M State foundations, information regarding records of deceased students and the Solomon Amendment.
Added LeadMN directory data for the purpose of communicating with members.