Student Complaint, Grievance and Informal Concern Policy
To provide students with an avenue to seek remedy for a complaint or grievance. To provide students with an avenue to express an informal concern.
Appeal of a Grievance Decision
A written request for reconsideration of a grievance decision under the Student Complaint, Grievance and Informal Concern policy.
A written claim made by a student using the college’s Student Complaint, Grievance, and Informal Concern Form, alleging improper, unfair, or arbitrary treatment or action taken by a college employee or student.
Business days do not include Saturday, Sunday, other days when the college is closed, and official breaks between semesters and summer session(s).
If a student determines a complaint is not satisfactorily resolved and the complaint alleges improper, unfair or arbitrary action by an employee involving the application of a specific provision of a college or system policy or procedure, a student may file what is considered a grievance.
An informal concern is a written submission of an informal concern or issue from a student. When students submit informal concerns, the college may or may not take formal action or report back to the student submitting the informal concern.
An individual who is enrolled at the college.
In accordance with Minnesota State system Board Policy 3.8 Student Complaints and Grievances, a student has the right to seek remedy for a dispute or disagreement or share informal concerns through the College’s Student Complaint, Grievance and Informal Concern Policy and Procedures. This policy and related procedures shall not:
- Substitute for other complaint or grievance policies or procedures specified in college or Minnesota State system policies or procedures, regulations or negotiated agreements.
- Apply to academic grade disputes. Grade appeals shall be handled under the Grade Appeal Policy and Procedure.
- Apply to alleged violations of the student conduct code. Those shall be handled under the Student Code of Conduct Policy and Procedure.
- Apply to the Minnesota State system Board Policy 1.B.1 Equal Opportunity and Nondiscrimination in Employment and Education. Allegations of discrimination and/or harassment shall be handled under the 1.B.1. Policy and Procedure.
- Apply to the Minnesota State system Board Policy 1.B.3 Sexual Violence Policy. Allegations of sexual violence shall be handled under the 1.B.3. Policy and Procedure.