Academic and Student Services Appeals Procedure
This procedure details the review process for both Level One and Level Two Academic and Student Services Appeals.
The period of time that makes up one school year, beginning in August and ending in May.
Level One Appeal
The first appeal submitted by a student.
Level Two Appeal
A subsequent appeal submitted by a student who has additional documentation and/or information not submitted with the Level One appeal that could alter the result of the Level One appeal.
Events that are sudden, significantly disruptive and beyond a student’s control. Extenuating circumstances include but are not limited to:
- Bereavement for a child, sibling, spouse or partner
- Shorter-term medical conditions
- Serious personal injury, medical condition or mental health crises
Official documentation that supports the appeal, including but not limited to letters from medical treatment providers/facilities or death certificates/announcements/obituaries.
- Student completes and submits the online Academic and Student Services Appeal - Level One form found at www.minnesota.edu/forms and supplies required documentation. Documentation can be attached to the electronic appeal form or dropped off at Student Services on any M State campus.
- The appeal with supporting documentation is routed to the College designee for review and a decision.
- If additional information is needed from the student, the College designee will reach out to the student via telephone and/or email to explain what is being requested.
- The College designee will communicate the appeal decision to the student via the email address and/or the physical address supplied on the appeal form.
- If the student wants a Level One Student Appeal decision reconsidered on the basis of additional documentation, a Level Two Academic and Student Services Appeal can be submitted.
- If the decision in a Level One or Level Two Academic and Student Services Appeal necessitates changes to the student’s record, the appropriate offices will be notified of the decision in order to facilitate changes/updates (examples: Registrar, Financial Aid, Business Services).
- The finalized appeal will be forwarded to processing for addition to the student’s academic file.
- A Level Two appeal decision is considered final.
Submission of appeal form and supporting documentation
Review of appeal and supporting documentation; review of relevant policies and/or procedures; appeal decision and communication of appeal decision to student and appropriate College department(s)
Addition of the completed appeal file to the appropriate academic file.
Associated M State and Minnesota State System Policies and Procedures
Minnesota State Community and Technical Collage Academic and Student Services Appeal Policy
Residential Life Policies (Fergus Falls campus only)
|Date||Description of Change|
New procedure detailing the review process for level one and level two academic and student services appeals.