Your support makes a difference!
Click the button below to make an online donation today to the M State Foundation and Alumni.
Or mail a donation to:
M State Foundation and Alumni
1900 28th Ave S
Moorhead, MN 56560
Discover all the ways to give
However you choose to give your gift, you can be assured your philanthropy will contribute to the future of this great college. Help us make students' dreams come true by providing affordable higher education.
Gifts may qualify as income tax charitable deductions, but we encourage donors to discuss potential tax advantages and other aspects of charitable giving with their attorney, tax advisor or financial consultant.
Endowment funds are established when a donor makes a contribution of $25,000 or greater with conditions and restrictions that are acceptable to the Foundation. An endowment gift may be given over a period of time up to five years.
When you do not restrict the use of your gift, the Foundation gains flexibility not otherwise available. Unrestricted gifts can be used at the discretion of the Foundation board to meet changing or urgent needs, such as new educational initiatives, state-of-the-art technology and equipment, or capital improvements. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 218.299.6565 for more information.
In-kind (non-cash) gifts
In-kind gifts are non-cash gifts, usually tangible items such as program equipment, computers and books, or non-tangible gifts such as services.
To make an in-kind gift, please contact us. In-kind donors bear the responsibility of completing an Acceptance Form for Non-Cash Gifts, and tax laws place the burden of appraisal on the donor.
If your employer has a matching gift program, you can double or sometimes even triple your or your spouse's contribution to M State. Many corporations and businesses have demonstrated their support for M State by matching or multiplying their employees' gifts up to a set amount. Ask whether your employer or your spouse's employer participates in such a program. Certain restrictions apply to matching gifts. Please consult your company's personnel office for more information.
Your support is instrumental in bringing innovative educational opportunities to the region. Extra gifts such as those provided through a company's matching gift program have a significant impact on M State's continued success.
To apply for matching funds from an employer, simply pick up a matching gift form from the employer (usually through the personnel or public relations department). Each matching gift program varies in terms of when the gift can be matched, but the one constant is that the employee must initiate the process. Please follow the employer's instructions.
It's never too late to match your contribution. Even if your last gift to the Foundation was several months ago, you may still be able to apply for a matching gift. Many companies will provide matching funds within one calendar year.
Gifts of stocks and bonds
Donating appreciated securities, including stocks or bonds, is an easy and tax-effective way for you to make a gift to M State Foundation and Alumni.
Benefits of this kind of giving include:
- Avoid capital gains taxes on the sale of appreciated stock
- Receive a charitable income tax deduction
- Further our mission today
- Avoid capital gains taxes on the sale of the real estate
- Receive a charitable income tax deduction based on the value of the gift
- Leave a lasting legacy to M State Foundation and Alumni
Gifts of retirement assets
Donating part or all of your unused retirement assets, such as your IRA, 401(k), 403(b), pension or other tax-deferred plan, is an excellent way to make a gift to M State Foundation and Alumni.
If you are like most people, you probably will not use all of your retirement assets during your lifetime. You can make a gift of your unused retirement assets to help further our mission.
- Avoid potential estate tax on retirement assets
- Your heirs would avoid income tax on any retirement assets funded on a pre-tax basis
- Receive potential estate tax savings from an estate tax deduction
Gifts of cash
A donation of cash is a simple and easy way for you to make a gift.
- Make an immediate impact on our mission
- Take a charitable income tax deduction
Gifts of life insurance
If you have a life insurance policy that has outlasted its original purpose, consider making a gift of your insurance policy to M State Foundation and Alumni. For example, you may have purchased a policy to provide for minor children who are now financially independent adults.
- Receive a charitable income tax deduction
- If M State Foundation and Alumni retains the policy to maturity, you can receive additional tax deductions by making annual gifts so that we can pay the premiums
- If M State Foundation and Alumni cashes in the policy, you will be able to see firsthand how your gift supports our charitable work
- If we retain the policy to maturity or you name us as a beneficiary, once the policy matures, the proceeds of your policy will be paid to our organization so that we can use the proceeds to further our charitable work