POLS1130 - State and Local Government
Meets MnTC Goal Areas 5 and 9. This course provides an analysis of the organization, procedure and functions of state and local governments and their relationship with the national government.
- Explain how alternative explanations of federalism account for the relationship between the states and the federal government.
- Explain the importance of political opinion, party organization and public participation in the context of state and local governments.
- Examine the structural and political contexts in which state governments operate, with special attention given to the role and purpose of state constitutions.
- Explore the methods and procedures by which campaigns are conducted in states and localities.
- Compare legislative processes and procedures of state governments.
- Compare executive powers of state governments.
- Compare judicial processes, procedures and powers of state governments.
- Examine the role of local governments, including their legal and political relationships with state governments.
- Explain theories, practices and roles of bureaucratic systems in local and state jurisdictions.
5. History and the Social and Behavioral Sciences
9. Ethical and Civic Responsibility