ELL0065 - American English Idioms
This vocabulary course is for non-native learners of English. Students will learn common idiomatic expressions used in North American English, with emphasis on expressions grouped by cultural themes. It is designed to develop both language and cultural fluency by exploring the idioms Americans use regularly and the cultural background of those expressions.
- Recognize the use of idiomatic expressions in written and spoken English.
- Discuss metaphoric themes behind common idioms in North American English.
- Identify the meanings of selected idiomatic expressions derived from cultural metaphor.
- Interpret the meaning of newly encountered idiomatic expressions based on known metaphorical sources.
- Identify when texts consistently utilize a common metaphor.
- Distinguish cross-cultural differences in metaphoric themes and expressions.