DENT1103 - Introduction for Dental Health Care Providers
The student will be introduced to fundamental knowledge required in the practice of dentistry. Topics to be covered include blood-borne pathogens, concepts and procedures of infection control, medical emergencies, first aid in the dental setting and patient privacy rights.
- Describe the rationale for performing infection control procedures in a dental office.
- Describe the pathways by which microbes may be spread in the dental office.
- Summarize the recommendations for infection control in dentistry from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Demonstrate appropriate first aid treatment in the dental health care setting.
- Discuss ways to prevent medical emergencies in a dental health care setting.
- Describe appropriate actions for the top nine medical emergencies that occur in a dental health care setting.