Confined Space Safety Policy
It is the purpose of this policy to protect employees and contractors who may have to enter a confined space from the hazards associated with confined space entry by complying with the OSHA confined space regulations.
It is the policy of Minnesota State Community and Technical College to evaluate each property owned or used by the College for the presence of confined spaces as defined by the OSHA general industry standard. Each identified confined space will be classified and labeled as permit-required or non-permit required. For each permit-required space, specific entry and work procedures and a written entry permit system will be implemented and enforced. Entry will not be made without all required safety equipment. All employees involved in confined space entry will receive training. Employees who have not successfully completed training will not be allowed to participate in confined space entry.
- Ensure policy is implemented and responsibilities are delegated.
Facilities Services Supervisor/Building Maintenance Foreman
- Identify confined spaces and their associated hazards.
- Classify and label spaces as permit-required.
- Act as the entry supervisor.
- Issue permits.
- Provide safety equipment.
- Ensure all affected employees are trained.
- Provide emergency rescue. Maintain records of confined space entry.
- Communicate the hazards of all confined spaces to contractors who may enter to perform work.
Maintenance and Repair Personnel
- Participate in training.
- Act as attendants or entrants.
- Understand and follow all the rules of entry.
- Wear appropriate safety equipment.
All other Faculty, Staff and Students
- Never enter a confined space.
OSHA Regulation 29 CFR 1910.146, Permit-required confined spaces.