Classroom and College Sponsored Activity Travel Policy
To establish consistent guidelines for classroom and College sponsored activity travel.
College sponsored or sanctioned student activities are necessary for a well rounded college experience. In order to assist with well planned and executed student activity travel, the following is a list of important guidelines to follow when traveling with students.
- All travel arrangements required for college sponsored and sanctioned activities must be approved by the appropriate supervisor or designee prior to leaving for the scheduled activity.
- Itineraries for trips must to be filed with the supervisor or designee at least 24 hours prior to any travel. The itinerary must include the following: date, hour of departure, list of students going and time of return.
Out of State
- If traveling out-of-state (including border cities), prior approval must be obtained from the college president. At least two weeks prior to the event, requests for out-of-state travel must first be submitted to the supervisor or designee for approval. If approved, the supervisor or designee will forward the request to the college president for approval. A leave request form must accompany the out-of-state travel request paperwork.
- Out-of-state travel for student activities may require the presence of a college employee at the discretion of administration.
- If travel with students requires an overnight stay the advisor or faculty supervisor must complete and submit the Overnight Student Travel form prior to traveling. If weather or other factors require an unplanned overnight stay, the Overnight Student Travel form must be completed upon returning to the college.
- Students participating in extra-curricular activities are to be transported in the manner scheduled by the college. This includes activities such as: athletics, music concerts, and club or organization activities. The use of private vehicles for college-related activities is prohibited, unless approved by college administration.
- It is the responsibility of the activity advisor or coach to ensure that adequate funds are available to cover all costs associated with the activity.
- Reimbursement for expenses incurred will be according to the current travel rules and regulations of the State of Minnesota as authorized by statute or by contract.
- Upon return from the college authorized trip, the advisor/coach must reconcile necessary expenditures including receipts and submit to the Business Office.
Policies in the Student Handbook are applicable during the trip.
Overnight Student Travel Form