DNAS1210 - Dental Assisting Radiology Lab I
Dental Assisting students will be introduced to techniques and processes for exposing digital full mouth series and extra-oral digital radiographs on skulls, manikins and patients. Students will utilize these techniques and processes to expose digital radiographs and evaluate them for diagnostic value according to M State Dental Criteria for Radiographic Acceptability.
- Demonstrate digital x-ray equipment operation.
- Demonstrate correct technique basics for digital intra-oral and extra-oral radiographs on skulls or manikins.
- Identify factors and principles of diagnostically acceptable dental images.
- Identify radiographic errors and their specific methods of correction.
- Identify the correct placement and arrangement of intra-oral radiographic surveys.
- Identify typical images of anatomic structures as recorded in bite-wing and periapical dental radiographs.
- Understand the biological effects of radiation and the necessary safety precautions that must be followed in the dental setting.
- Demonstrate safe infection control procedures.
- Perform accurate documentation of procedures in patient charts according to State of Minnesota record-keeping requirements.