DNAS1119 - Advanced Functions
This course is designed to provide the student with instruction and practice to perform the clinical competency in the following intra-oral functions approved by the Minnesota Board of Dentistry: taking radiographic exposures, performing mechanical polishing, taking preliminary impressions and bite registrations, applying topical fluoride, placing and removing periodontal dressing, removing excess cement, monitoring nitrous oxide-induced patients, induction of nitrous oxide/oxygen sedation, removing excess bond from orthodontic appliances with rotary instruments and applying pit and fissure sealants. In addition the following intra-oral functions are taught and practiced to laboratory competency: removing sutures, preliminary adaptation of temporary (provisional) crowns, performing selected orthodontic functions, applying bleaching agents and performing approved endodontic procedures.
- Perform advanced functions according to Minnesota rules/regulation qualifications.
- Demonstrate safe clinical practices.
- Customize oral hygiene instructions (OHI).
- Perform patient mechanical or coronal polish procedures.
- Take alginate impressions to include unilateral and bilateral bite registration on a patient.
- Describe fluoride and its use in dentistry.
- Demonstrate excess cement removal techniques.
- Demonstrate rubber dam placement and removal results.
- Demonstrate temporary and provisional crown removal and adaptation procedure.
- Demonstrate pit and fissure sealant application techniques.
- Demonstrate orthodontic procedures according to Minnesota's delegable duties.
- Demonstrate excess bond removal using hand instruments and rotary instruments according to Minnesota's delegable duties.
- Demonstrate nitrous oxide/oxygen inhalation sedation.
- Customize periodontal dressing placement and removal.
- Demonstrate suture removal techniques on a typodont.
- Describe criteria for drying a root canal.
- Demonstrate use of standard precautions.
- Demonstrate appropriate patient safety techniques.
- Demonstrate appropriate equipment use and maintenance.