This course offers hands-on training in the tasks performed by medical administrative personnel in medical office settings. Topics include the role of the medical administrative professional, exploration of health care careers, legal and ethical responsibilities, medical appointments and calendars, professional communication including telephone techniques, reception and registration of patients, electronic health record responsibilities, introduction to billing and insurance procedures, and an introduction to medical office management.
- ADMM1104 Medical Language Applications I OR HLTH1116 Medical Terminology
- Explain medical administrative professions.
- Examine health care occupations and facilities.
- Explain legal and ethical responsibilities of health care employees.
- Explain diversity of patients.
- Demonstrate appropriate telephone techniques in a health care environment.
- Demonstrate professional oral and written communications in a health care environment.
- Demonstrate patient registration and reception responsibilities.
- Schedule medical appointments and manage physician calendars.
- Explain health information management functions.
- Demonstrate use of the electronic health record (EHR).
- Identify medical office management responsibilities.
- Utilize current medical office technology to perform medical administrative responsibilities.
- Describe an assistant's financial management responsibilities in the medical office.
- Identify essentials of human resource management in the medical office.
- Perform medical billing procedures.