Transfer of Credit Policy

Vice President of Student Affairs
Effective date
October 7, 2011
Last content update
October 7, 2011


To enable students to transfer previous and applicable coursework into their college program.


To transfer credit from another institution to Minnesota State Community and Technical College, an official course transcript will be sent to the College registration associates at the M State Service Center. Students may be required to provide course descriptions from their previous colleges. M State reserves the right to evaluate courses based on content recency.

Transfer of “D” grades:

1. “D” grades will be accepted in transfer if the student’s overall Grade Point Average (GPA) from the sending college or university is 2.0 or higher.

2. Individual M State programs reserve the right to not accept “D” graded courses in fulfillment of program requirements.

Associated Policies and Procedures

Minnesota State Community and Technical College Transfer of Credit Procedure

Minnesota State system Board Policy 3.21 Undergraduate Course and Credit Transfer and the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum

Minnesota State system Procedure 3:21.1 Transfer of Undergraduate Courses, Credit, Associate Degrees and the Minnesota Transfer Curriculum

Next scheduled review