||This course introduces the field of interpreting and the role of a sign language interpreter. It covers interpreting as a field of professional practice, the current nature of the field, the variety of employment opportunities, interpreter training, interpreter certification and professional ethical standards.
|| ASL1114 AND Grade of B or better in ASL1114
- Describe the interpreting process.
- Apply techniques for managing the interpreting process.
- Demonstrate understanding of the business aspects of interpreting.
- Identify the current national evaluation and certification process for interpreters.
- Define and communicate to others the appropriate role of an interpreter.
- Establish appropriateness for interpreting, either standing or being seated in front of an audience.
- Illustrate ways interpreters function in specific settings and with specific populations.
- Convey issues that are currently relevant to the field of interpreting and to the Deaf community.
- Demonstrate understanding of the need for continuing education as a professional interpreter and of opportunities for such continuing education in the community.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines