Spartans finish 4th, Landborg and Moen 1st Team All-Americans
From Left to Right: Assistant Coach-Jeff Haukos, Jordan Kern, Hunter Moen, Nick Kress, Mason Landborg, Blake Bloedorn, Head Coach Jason Retzlaff
June 11, 2018
“While we weren’t able to put the magical round together today, they competed very hard and put up a solid final round score. I’m very proud of this team and the season we had. It is a great accomplishment to win the Region Championship and finish 4th in the nation. It was a group of talented players but also young men who were a pleasure to coach.”
“Congratulations to Mason and Hunter on earning First-Team All-American honors. Mason was a force all week and showed his firepower leading the field in birdies and eagles. It’s rare for a Freshman to earn first-team All-American honors, but Hunter’s all-around game and mental toughness really shined this week. Hunter played the final 6 holes today in 2 under par and finished strong to earn that honor.”
“We are going to miss our sophomores. Mason’s career at M State speaks for itself as a two time All-American and one of the most talented players we have had in our prgoram. I look forward to watching his golfing career continue at the next level. Nick Kress had a great two seasons including 2 trips to the National Tournament and All-American honors a year ago. I would also like to thank Kyle Boe and Will Tickel-both sophomores that weren’t with us on this trip but gave our program great contributions over the last two years.”
The Spartans shoot 315 in the final round
- The Spartans finish with a 4th place finish and a 4 day total of 1264, only 4 shots out of 3rd.
- It is the 7th consecutive season that M State has finished in the top 5 and the fourth consecutive year in the top 4.
- Mason Landborg (3rd overall) and Hunter Moen (6th overall) both receive First-Team All-American status.
- It is the first time in school history the Spartans have had multiple first team All-Americans in the same year.
- Landborg led the Spartans on Friday with a 73, Moen shot a 77, and Jordan Kern carded his best round of the week with a 78.
- Vincennes University shot a final round 307 on their way to the National Championship with a 4 day total of 1237.
- Dan Lapp of Tompkins CC (Dryden, NY) shot the low round of the tournament (68) on his way to the Individual Medalist with a 4 day total of 293.
- Mason Landborg led the field in birdies (14) and eagles (2). He also led the field in Par 5 scoring (-7).
- Landborg’s 3rd place finish is the highest individual NJCAA Tourney finish the Spartans have had in recent history.
Final Team Standings
- Vincennes University (Vincennes, IN)- 318 + 307 + 305 + 307 (Round 4) = 1237
- Sandhills CC (Pinehurst, NC)- 324 + 314 + 307 + 304 = 1249
- Georgia Military College (Milledgeville, GA)- 318 + 303 + 324 + 315 = 1260
- M State- Fergus Falls- 321 + 318 + 310 + 315 = 1264
- County College of Morris (Randolph, NJ)- 326 + 320 + 321 + 317 = 1284
- Bucks County CC (Newtown, PA)- 333 + 330 + 322 + 326 = 1311
- SUNY Adirondack College (Queensbury, NY)- 335 + 334 + 326 + 327= 1322
- Onondaga CC (Syracuse, NY)- 336 + 338 + 325 + 340 = 1339
- Massasoit CC (Brockton, MA)- 327 + 342 + 335 + 350 = 1354
- Anne Arundel CC (Arnold, MD)- 344 + 339 + 344 + 332 = 1359
- College of DuPage (Glen Ellyn, IL)- 357 + 342 + 338 + 330 = 1367
- Nassau CC (Garden City, NY)- 347 + 354 + 338 + 358 = 1397
Spartans Individual Scores for Round 4:
- Mason Landborg 73
- Hunter Moen 77
- Jordan Kern 78
- Blake Bloedorn 87
- Nick Kress 89
Cumulative 4 day totals for Spartan Individuals:
- Mason Landborg 75 (R1) + 77 (R2) + 79 (R3) + 73 (R4) = 304 (3rd overall)
- Hunter Moen 80 + 76 + 74 + 77 =307 (T-6th overall)
- Jordan Kern 84 + 88 + 80 + 78 = 330 (T-42)
- Nick Kress 83 + 83 + 77 + 89 = 332 (45)
- Blake Bloedorn 83 + 82 + 81 + 87 = 333 (T-46)
on June 6, 2018 at 9:17 am