||This course will teach students to appropriately assign evaluation and management codes based on physician documentation. Students will abstract information from health care documentation and assign appropriate levels of service.
- Explain various components of the medical record needed for documentation in the outpatient and inpatient setting using current year CPT, HCPCS II, and ICD codes, and modifiers.
- Demonstrate the ability to use Medicare's 1995 examination guidelines.
- Demonstrate the ability to use Medicare's 1997 examination guidelines.
- Develop, prepare, and use evaluation and management audit tools to determine the correct evaluation and management codes.
- Apply evaluation and management guidelines.
- Assign correct HCPCS II codes based on the physician's documentation.
- Assign correct CPT codes based on the physician's documentation.
- Assign correct ICD codes based on the physician's documentation.
- Explain key components to properly assign evaluation and management codes.
- Explain documentation requirements for proper assignment of evaluation and management codes.
- Utilize computer technology.
- Demonstrate ethical behavior.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines