Diploma - 35 credits
About this program
The Bioscience curriculum includes the foundations of the sciences - biology, chemistry, microbiology, and genetics. It is intended to meet the increasing demand for laboratory technicians skilled in techniques commonly used in biotechnology and bio-manufacturing.
- Summarize scientific principles related to chemical and biological systems.
- Apply the concepts of molecular biology and recombinant DNA technology to the development of novel compounds and organisms with desired characteristics.
- Explain the theory, function and application of traditional and emerging technologies.
- Formulate and test hypotheses by designing, performing and troubleshooting laboratory experiments.
- Analyze experimental data, recognizing potential sources of error.
- Effectively communicate experimental findings, both orally and in writing.
- Operate state-of-the-art equipment routinely used in biotechnology and bio-manufacturing applications.
- Competently perform techniques used in biotechnology and biomanufacturing.
- Demonstrate proficient computer skills using a variety of applications/software.
- Discuss quality control and quality assurance (QC/QA); good laboratory, manufacturing and clinical practices (GLPs/GMPs/GCPs); and regulatory frameworks governing the field of biomanufacturing.
- Demonstrate professionalism and related soft skills.
Minnesota State Community and Technical College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, a regional accreditation agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. The Higher Learning Commission 230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500 Chicago, IL 60604-1411 http://www.ncahigherlearningcommission.org Phone: 312.263.0456 / 800.621.7440
1st Fall Term - 16 credits
|BIOL1122 - General Biology I||4|
|CHEM1111 - General Chemistry I||5|
|ENGL1101 - College Writing||3|
|MATH1114 - College Algebra||4|
1st Spring Term - 13 credits
|BIOL2220 - General Microbiology||4|
|BIOL2240 - Genetics||4|
|CHEM1112 - General Chemistry II||5|
1st Summer Term - 6 credits
|BIOL1115 - Introduction to Biotechnology||3|
|BIOL2970 - Internship Experience||1|